Sunday, January 28, 2007

For heaven's sake, SMILE



Indulge me on my soap box for just a moment... One of the most frustrating things about visiting churches has been the lack of willingness on the part of church members to walk up to us, smile, and say "Hi!" Community is supposed to be a great hallmark of the church, and it's just hard to convince anyone (believers or unbelievers) that any real community is taking place if the only people who say "Hi!" are paid staff. So, for heaven's sake, smile at somebody new the next time you're at church, and take a few minutes out of visiting with dear ones to invest in a newcomer. I know I'm preaching to the choir...thanks for letting me vent.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess this means you had a bad go of it today at church...so sorry if that's the case but I know there's not a perfect church. We sure do hope for one that's close to perfect though. Looks like Katie and MA have the smiling thing down pat..aren't they the most beautiful children you've ever seen ??? Love you, Gal..keep hanging

Anonymous said...

I totally know what you mean. We experienced that a lot while visiting churches. It sure does make a difference when people acknowledge your existence! I'll be praying that God would lead y'all to the right church.

Shannon said...

Sorry to give the impression it was a bad morning! It wasn't. I guess I'm just lonely for a place where hugs are aplenty & we don't have to leave right away because we don't have anyone to talk to.

Lauren said...

Those pictures are like looking at Chris and Shannon. MA looks just like you!

Kelley said...

Hey girl,
We are in the same church-shopping boat you are. Where have you looked (you can email me privately)? We visited our second church today, a smaller one in our new community. I have to say that one of their most impressive features was the friendliness of the people. We got smiles and greetings at every turn--very welcoming and inviting. If that were the deciding factor it would be easy to stay there permanently...