Monday, January 22, 2007

Bad Habits...

They die hard. I heard this morning on the radio that today is supposed to be the most depressing day of the year ("Blue Monday"), because all the holiday bills are in, the weather is dreary, and most New Year's resolutions have been abandoned. SIGH. So what's a girl to do, especially when she comes home to a house with a dishwasher full of clean dishes (that have to be unloaded), a sink and counter full of dirty dishes (to go in the dishwasher), a baby bed that baby leaked on last night (that mommy promptly forgot to deal with), and dirty clothes everywhere? It's easy for me to lose it at a time like this, to give in to the pressure of all the mundane tasks, and let the she-dragon overtake my personality entirely.


It's called sin (especially when it affects the way I treat honey and the pumpkins, and even the dog), and I tend to write it off as just a bad habit. So it's time to call a spade a spade. I'm sinning when I let she-dragon loose on the family. So I've got to start recognizing the triggers that bring on the she-dragon, and choose to STOP. Take a deep breath...don't get overwhelmed...and count my blessings. Psalm 100 is a great place to start: Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth. Serve the Lord with gladness; Come before Him with joyful singing. Know that the Lord Himself is God; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter His gates with thanksgiving, and His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him; bless His name. For the Lord is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting, And His faithfulness to all generations. Lord, help me to remember your goodness and steadfast loyal love when I'm overwhelmed by the mundane, and let my attitude at these times make You look good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the encouragement....i will pray for you as often as you are on my mind (and i covet your prayers for me...yeah i hear ya about the dishwasher...how could i complain about clean dishes, but i do not like putting them up for wahtever reason so i let the dirties pile up til i have no sink space (usually only an hour or so...then i must unload, sometimes they only make it to the couter to be used promptly...stephen gave me a reality check that the memories i have a a clean house are really only delusions...o well...maybe i never was neater than this and i am turning over a new cleaner leaf....or just turning into someone who doesnt' like mess but doesn't really do anything about it...i just want to sleep so off i go...i will rest in Him and take another shot at being Spirit filled mom tomorrow love you...
rach

Elizabeth said...

You crack me up. Just reading about the mess stresses me out. I know, I know, just wait until my child is old enough to make a mess or I have more than one child and less time. Love ya!

Lauren said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh, it was Blue Monday...that's why I had such a bad day yesterday. (And the sin part factors in maybe?)

Nice graphic, Shan. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Sha,

Love the site!! I am hearing ya loud and clear...being a mom and being godly is so hard. Hey go check out my blog, I think you will especially love the article.