Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Schmalentine's

So maybe I'm a little cynical, but COME ON...the dog ate 9 of our valentine's cupcakes while we were taking the truck to the shop yet again! Yeesh. Anyway, last week the paper had a gorgeous picture of red gerbera daisies in a beautiful red glass vase, and so I circled it with a big red sharpie, and wrote "HINT, HINT" above it. Left that in a conspicuous place where honey would be sure to see it. That's what I really thought I wanted until I visited Colleen's house last week.

You have to understand that since we've been married, I've been on a quest to make perfect sweet tea. Honey's mom makes the best sweet tea in the whole entire world. I've stood and watched her make sweet tea, and written down every exact detail of the process, but I can never ever replicate it. EVER. So understand, there's almost 10 years of frustration mounting here. Anyhoo, I was at my wonderful friend Colleen's house last week, and had a GREAT glass, and asked her secret. She pointed to her Mr. Coffee iced tea maker, and the rest, as they say, is history.

So this is what I wound up getting for myself for Valentine's Day. As for the red daisies, I asked honey to surprise me with them the next time he thought I needed a happy. Oh, and he got me a box of thin mints. Yum-o. I support Ellen's reason for it being OK to eat them: "They're "THIN" mints!"

7 comments:

Lauren said...

My sis-in-law uses her tea maker all the time and it is the best!

Rafe and I don't celebrate Valentine's at all...that's how cynical we are. I'm glad you got yourself a present. And maybe you'll get those gerbers one day.

Hope the girls had fun making cupcakes :) Hope Dixie didn't get a tummy ache.

Anonymous said...

Eva Roberts makes the best sweet tea of all-time. She can be reached at 318-636-4402.

Heather Jamison said...

Cool "hint-hint" strategy on the flowers. I think I did the opposite and it was probably a mistake. My B had "ordered" 3 dozen roses from a local lady who sells flowers door-to-door here. And he told her it was a surprise. But when she came to our house, it was me who met her. She mentioned that my hubby had requested the 3 dozen roses and I told her I didn't need them. And sent her on her way. She's a sweetheart who literally gives us a dozen or two roses a week and I'm pretty rosed-out at this point and the thought of cutting stems off of 3 dozen more roses, digging around for enough vases - de-polluting the water with bleach, blah, blah, blah - just wasn't all that appealing at that moment. I told my B that it's the thought that counts. And that I was grateful for his sweet thought:). He'd also planned ahead and got some perfume when in Nairobi for V-day so he wasn't empty-handed:). Good boy! :)

Shannon said...

Lauren, dixie didn't get a tummy ache, but I'm so mean I kept hoping she would. At least outside...

And I'm sure that Eva makes the best sweet tea ever...she is a fabulous Shreveport mama, so that makes her an expert on all things wonderful. I truly do miss living in Louisiana!

Heather, that's amazing that all that work goes into a flower arrangement...I totally take advantage of that living in the good ol' US of A. Hope B's birthday was super-great.

Lin said...

we're not tea drinkers, but we LOVE the thin mints! :) add us to the list of cynics...we didn't do valentine's either.

Anonymous said...

So how's the tea, ey? Is it fantabulous???

Shannon said...

You betcha! I'm lovin' it. But I'm also lovin' the dark chocolate M&M's this week, too (thanks Emma for introducing me!).