Thursday, February 8, 2007

Prince & Valentine's Day

OK, I guess they really don't go together. But did anybody see him Sunday night? It reinforced (at least in my mind) just how amazing a musician he is. Not knowing anything about using electronic devices while wet, I worried about him getting a giant shock, but I figured the super bowl people had better sense than to let that happen. Slate had an interesting article on why he didn't get electrocuted while playing Purple Rain in the pouring rain (they titled it "When Doves Fry." Ha!).

Valentine's Day is next week, and the pumpkins and I have been trying to think of ways to make it special. Food is always a winner at our house, so we're going to be making Cherry Chocolate Chip Cupcakes. What's your favorite Valentine's food idea? We're always on the lookout.

Cherry Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Cook's Country has a great recipe in their latest edition. I adapted it to suit us:
1 21 oz can cherry pie filling
2 cups mini chocolate chips
1 recipe white cake batter (use your favorite store-bought or homemade)
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries with stems, drained and wiped dry
Red food coloring
4 cups vanilla buttercream frosting (store bought or homemade - you may not need this much)

For the cupcakes: Drain and rinse cherry pie filling under running water. Press cherries between several layers of paper towels until very dry. Chop cherries fine, save 1/2 cup for cupcakes, and discard the rest (or save them for the frosting). Gently fold the 1/2 cup cherries and 1/2 cup chocolate chips into the cake batter. Place paper baking cups in muffin tins, and fill each 2/3 full. Bake on middle rack in 350 degree oven until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool in tins for 10 minutes, then let cool completely on a rack.
For the cherries: Melt remaining 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips and shortening in bowl. Holding stems, partially dip maraschino cherries into chocolate and place on parchment lined plate. Refrigerate until hardened, at least 10 minutes.
For the frosting: Beat 5 drops red food coloring into frosting; add more color as needed.
Generously frost cupcakes. Decorate with cherries.

6 comments:

Lin said...

I, too, was waiting for Prince to get electrocuted! :) BTW...Go Colts! Whoop-Whoop!

Those cupcakes look delicious, but a little too ambitious for me. I'm all about holiday slice & bake!

Lauren said...

Prince IS pretty cool isn't he? My friend Julia is a closet Prince fan but I don't think she should be ashamed...

Valentine's Day to me is all about AK...it's her bday! She'll be 6! I think I'm gonna make her a cookie cake, but like Lin, I'll probably just use the Tollhouse slice and bake. :O Why mess with perfection?

Shannon said...

We did a cookie cake for Katie's last BD - so fun. Used the giant tub o' dough from Sams (pillsbury, I think). Super good!

Elizabeth said...

I usually make a simple chocolate pie. You melt 6 Hershey's bars in a bowl in the microwave then mix in a 12 oz tube of Cool Whip. Then pour in a graham cracker pie shell. Top with Cool Whip. Then put in fridge for a little while.
We usually eat it will strawberries.
I also have a very easy brownie pie recipe that is delicious.

Anonymous said...

hey...go back to lindseys post about whats for dinner...i put some recipes on there that are good and easy

Shannon said...

rach, you rock!! thanks, birthday girl. :)