Saturday, February 24, 2007

Ginormous

I am Sasquatch, hear me roar...or whatever it is that sasquatches do.

Today I am tired of having giant, freakish feet. I spent 4 perfectly good hours tonight searching for shoes for N&S's wedding, which is exactly 2 weeks from tonight. Super excited about the wedding. Not so excited about finding shoes for the wedding. I went to all the right stores in town, known for having shoes for giant feet, and I had absolutely NO luck. Shoes that look adorable in a size 6 usually look like canoes in size 11 (if you can even find an 11). And not being able to look at open-toed styles narrows my options even further, unless I want to wrestle with glue-on toenails (yes, there is such a thing, and I so wish I didn't need to know that).

At least I've made peace with my feet. In high school I HATED them. Every year at disciple now, our group always had to do a foot-washing, and that was always a nightmare. In college I wasn't willing to admit that I needed 11's (but then again, all I wore were my birks & docs). Then I moved to Dallas, and I realized that size 11 "professional casual" shoes were a lot more comfortable than size 10's. SIGH.

So I'll keep trying to find the shoes...can't go barefoot to the wedding! It's in Oregon, and if my feet get frostbite they'll be freakier than they are now. And I'll keep trying to not let my freakish attitude toward feet rub off on the pumpkins. At least they aren't bothered by my lack of big toenails!

8 comments:

rachel hood said...

i am cracking up...but seriously so sorry you are having a hard time finding shoes...zappo's is a great website with lots of styles and sizes and they ship and take back shoes for free!...we have used them a bunch and they are no hassle so easy...they come a day later and if you don't like em just but em back in the box and put the return label on and they credit your card right back...it maybe worth trying if you have a couple of weeks left....

btw...whose shoes are those?

Shannon said...

Thanks for the heads up, Rae! I'll go searching right now. Those are actually clown shoes I found a picture of on ebay - chris thought they looked like something for the girls, but if you look at them realizing they're for grown-ups... pretty funny. Especially since they look just like a pair of mary jane's I have, but mine are brown...

Anonymous said...

any luck on zappos?

Anonymous said...

Good luck, hope you can find some soon...what about the ones in the pic?

Kelley said...

Is it just me, or have you been in a wedding at least once a semester for the last three years?? I swear that's what your life has revolved around for ages! I'm so sorry about the shoe shopping saga (alliteration for laugh?), but I hope the wedding is fun and joyful.

Shannon said...

Bek, Jenny does think I should wear red shoes, so maybe those'll work! HA!

Tried looking at zappos, lin, but got overwhelmed very quickly. So many choices! And I don't want to spend very much... maybe I need to get over that!

Weddings have been a theme lately, Kelley...maybe we could write a book about how to stay sane while honoring God while planning one! It will be fun, and joyful. Honey's whole fam will be there, and it's always fun to see the kiddos together.

Jen said...

I vote you just wear Birks to the wedding. Oregonians are freakishly earthy, so they'd probably think you look weird in anything else. We went there for a wedding a few years ago and loved i--so beautiful there! Though we were a little weirded out by the amazingly high number of AWD hatchbacks. And we didn't know you can't pump your own gas there . . . until Micah got nearly shoved back in the car by one attendant.

Shannon said...

That's crazy about the gas attendants! My sis-in-law to be told me about that, and it just sounds crazy. Love the idea of wearing Birks to the wedding... Chris always jokes about her always listening to James Taylor and hiking and building sets. I don't really get it, though.