Thursday, October 11, 2007

walking in wisdom


That's a picture of MA pretending to be a bull that honey took a few months ago. It's just one of my favorite images of her these days...

2 Sundays ago, our pastors finished up a series titled "Uncommon Sense," where we took a good long hard look at wisdom, and what it means to be wise, biblically speaking. Wonderful messages all, followed by amazing discussion at our CG (small group) about how to apply wisdom in our lives. The entire time, though, a question kept coming to me: "How in the world do we teach our children wisdom, even now, so that they maybe don't have to learn as much stuff as we did 'the hard way'? Is it even possible?"

In an effort to work toward some answers to that question, I think I'm going to start hosting a pot-luck type lunch once every 2 months or so for moms with little ones, where I invite an "experienced" mom with kiddos who are admirable, and pick her brain for help! After all, part of wise living is getting loads of counsel from godly people, right? I'm already regretting that my favorite blogger Heather Jamison is back in Africa, because she'd be my first invite were she still here in the states....however, I do believe she's got some amazing things to say here about protecting our children's innocence, part of the whole wisdom thing, so maybe we can work something out via email. Anyhoo, I need to come up with a list of questions for our experienced mom. I know that I want to ask how practically she's helped her kids learn fear of the Lord, and what fun tips she has for (ahem) keeping her marriage fresh (after all, a HUGE part of raising admirable kids is having an admirable marriage, right?)! So, what questions should I ask our experienced mom, ladies?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think that the lack of questions/suggestions shows just how much we need to learn from willing, excellent further in their minisrty mothers...keep us posted on how thigs go...i love that idea...wish i could be part of the group

Shannon said...

I wish you could be here too, Rae! Maybe once you're here in the Lone Star State??! I plan to keep everybody updated...

I think my first mom is going to be a lady who has 9 kids, ages 14 down, who homeschools them all... I don't know her well, but her children speak so loudly without saying anything! I'll keep you posted.

Lin said...

what a great idea. can't wait to read their words of wisdom!

Elizabeth said...

I agree! Great idea! Take good notes and pass them on.

Anonymous said...

Shannon that is a great idea, superb.

I tried the link, really looking forward to reading her insights, but it didn't work. Possibly, my compueter settings???

I totally agree with you, admirable marriage is essential to everything else, after our personal relationship with Christ. Our kids know, even at their young ages (2.5 and 4 years) that mommy and daddy always have time together when daddy gets home, even just 15 minutes...it is so meaningful and worth it. Then they know after that they get daddy until bedtime. No biggie.

Great idea, though. I have several ladies more mature than me year-wise, and just experience-wise, that I am constantly asking questions, seeking input from, etc.