Monday, May 7, 2007

treats & inconveniences

Our computer is sick. Hence "inconveniences." I knew that I used it a lot, but SHEESH it's hard not having my computer. I'm able to use honey's laptop in the evenings, so I'm not totally without...but I'm a bit amazed at how dependent I am on the dang thing.

Moving on: last week one of the girls mentioned an easy version of caramel popcorn she makes. I (being a big fan of caramel popcorn) perked right up. I found a version of it online, super easy, super good (it even looks professional!), so if you're a fan, pay attention:

MICROWAVE CARAMEL POPCORN

Prepare 4 quarts popped popcorn (about 1/2 cup unpopped, maybe a little more)

Add to 2 quart dish:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Microwave 3 minutes, stir, and microwave for additional 1 1/2 minutes.
Stir in 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.

Pour caramel mixture over popcorn in brown paper bag, and shake vigorously for about a minute (check to see if distributed evenly).

Put paper bag in microwave, and microwave for about 1 minute and 10 seconds. Shake, and microwave an additional minute an 10 seconds. Cool & enjoy!
*Note: when I microwaved it for a minute and 10 seconds, it was too long, and a few pieces burned, so I now microwave it for about 30 seconds at a time 4 times. If it isn't microwaved enough, it will be chewy. It can also be baked in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes after you shake it all together, if you want to do it that way.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy, yummy!! Sounds really good, Shan. I'll have to try it.
Love, Sue