Tuesday, May 15, 2007

surf's up!

So I think I might be a little crazy, but I've got to tell ya', every grain of sand being tracked into my house from the pumpkins' sandbox is pushing me closer and closer to the edge. It all started a few weeks ago - we had finally gotten rid of all the "yucky" sand from last summer (advertised as play sand, but was obviously NOT play sand because of all the big rocks & junk it it), and honey wanted the replacement to be white sand. You know, beach sand. As one guy I talked to called it, "white sugar sand." Yep.

Well, turns out that you can't buy white sugar sand at any store around here. They all sell quick-rete's version of play sand, that's brown and dirty looking, with flecks of stuff in it that's white & black. Gritty looking. Yuck-o, right? So I finally tracked down some white sugar sand at a gravel & sand place, and honey was able to go get a "quarter of a yard" of white sugar sand (about 500 pounds) loaded up in the back of the truck.

So, people, there's a reason you can't buy white sugar sand for the sand box. It sticks to children. To their legs, to their arms, to the dog...to EVERYTHING. Mom & Dad have the gritty quick-rete sand at their house. Guess what? Doesn't stick. I've already changed my sheets TWICE (in one week) due to sand in the sheets. I can so handle that when I'm AT THE BEACH, but not so much in my house.

I had already decided that I want to do the girls' room in "surfer girl" style. Miss K asked me if that means she gets to have water & sand in her room. We're halfway there, baby!

6 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh, NO! That would drive me INSANE. Well, now we know...looks like you took one for the team :) If we ever get a sandbox, I'll be getting the gritty, yucky sand.

We're leaving for the beach Friday so I'll think of you when I'm sitting on the sugary stuff.

Oh... I plan to do the tag thing (eventually!)...looks like fun :)

Lin said...

i second that "OH NO!" my mom wants to get the kids a sandbox, but i won't let her. if she does get one, we'll have to keep it at HER house. :)

Shannon said...

Lauren, I am so jealous. We're going to the beach a week from Friday, but it's in North Carolina, not on the gulf. That means cold water & not white sand beaches. I'm trying to not pout! ;o)

Lin, be strong! Sandboxes are only for cats & crazy people like me.

Anonymous said...

Hey Shan, Doh! I bet you paid extra for that pretty Mess, too!
We are also going to Gulf Shores June 9th..woohoo. I cannot wait to have this moving thing behind me and sit in a beach chair with a margarita! Love you...I plan to do the tag thing too eventually.

Anonymous said...

yeah...like we believe you loin and bekah...
shan-you are an eternal optimist and a bit of a massacist, so kind to let the littles have such a wonderfully enjoyable item for them and yet so miserable for you...i am not into beaches mostly because of the SAND!...it get in all the places you don't want it...ick

Shannon said...

Yea, Bek! I'm so glad you're going to the beach (you deserve it, woman! enjoy those margaritas!), and Rae, I will try not to pout that you live so close yet don't so much like it. Although it is fun with friends, huh? It is strange how much I like going to the beach, but, like you, hate the sand so much. Haven't had any sand come in this week cause we've all been sick-o with a virus! Miss K had 106 fever on Wed. night. Scary!! But she's fine now. They're actually sleeping tonight! Love to you all, girls!