Sunday, October 5, 2008

better moms...

Returned yesterday from the annual MOPS convention at the crazy-big over-the-top gaudy but-still-has really-comfy-beds-and-pretty-rooms Gaylord Texan (has anybody ever been there? It really is crazy big, and pretty impressive, but the boots & hats & belt buckles in the carpets in the conference rooms got to me after a while!). Anyhow, the MOPS convention. Really a great time of team-building with the ladies on the MOPS steering team at our church. Some super-great speakers, and some weird workshops (which I won't go into, other than to say there was a guy talking about communicating with your man, and he had people handing cards - I don't know what they said on them - to anyone who seemed to disagree with him, which totally made me cringe), but a great reminder that what we do as moms is so very important. The MOPS logo is "better moms make a better world," and I was just so inspired by the time I spent with the WONDERFUL women from our steering team, and the speakers there.

One inparticular, Erwin McManus, had great things to say about not being that mom who says to her kids, "I really did some amazing things for the Lord before I had you guys!" A great reminder that part of being a "better" mom is pursuing the passions that God has given you as you continue to pursue the passion He's given you to raise godly kiddos. So great....challenged me to think about those things that I just love doing, those passions that I know are God-given (like writing children's curriculum, and studying the Bible, digging deep into the Word, with other women), that have just been put away for now, under the excuse of "I'm just too stinkin' busy..." Because I know that I'm a better mom when I'm actively pursuing the passions and gifts that God has birthed in my heart...and I want my children to see me actively energized as I serve God, so that my life continually points their little hearts toward pursuing Him.

Good stuff! It's so hard to get away for things like that, but it's always so worth it. I love how it renews my heart, and challenges me, and helps me appreciate my sweet people at home!

1 comments:

melanie said...

i think we had people there from our group at fbc in deridder. i know that the ruston group was there. here's a link to trey and tara smith's blog site. she was there. you'll enjoy catching up on trey.

love ya, miss mel

oh by the way, when i was on my way home from dallas last weekend, i wanted to call you and then your mom BUT didn't have your phone #, email or address. would you email that stuff to me?

melanie@dancedifference.com