Thursday, October 23, 2008

random thoughts from a late night coffee buzz...

I read an interesting article the other day (I'd link to it, but I can't remember if it was online or in the paper, and I'm to lazy to go look for it now) stating that blogging is now all but dead, thanks to the annoyance called Facebook. Yes, annoyance...maybe I'm just completely techno-challenged, but I can't make heads or tails of it! Each time I look at honey's page, all I can think is "HUH?" Our MOPS group had us all sign up on Cafe Mom, which is just facebook for moms, so I'm trying it out over there. It still mystifies me, though! Oh, and the article also said that twitter was to blame for dying blogs...I tried to read Slate's twitter about the Olympics when they were on, and I kept trying to find articles attached to the "twitters." I just need more than a few sentences to keep me informed, I guess!

So, for now, I'm going to keep blogging away. Behind the times, I know, but that's just my comfort zone!

Great sermon Sunday, here, if you'd care to take a listen. We've been in a short series entitled "In God We Trust," and this week our pastor tackled worry from a biblical perspective. SO many take away points from this sermon, but one that's stuck with me all week is the fact that while fear is a normal emotion, if we choose to worry as a result of our fears, we're choosing to sin, because we aren't choosing to trust God. If you're struggling with worry in these uncertain times, I'd love to challenge you to listen to this sermon! Key passage was Philippians 4:4-9:

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.


So I'm going to try to go sleep now...I've actualy started drinking coffee (that may be the last thing in the world I should have taken up - although "coffee" is probably a big stretch, because it's a little bit of coffee with a lot of milk, and chocolate syrup...), and tonight had a meeting at a real coffee place, and had a mocha...and am wired! Happy weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What tha...? You're drinking coffee? Wow. *moment of awe and silence*

So...blogging's not dead. I don't believe that. Facebook has applications to RSS feeds so that people can connect their blogs as notes to Facebook pages...because sometimes people need more than one-liners about the minutia of the day (read: status updates or tweets from Twitter).

I think people like the, what I call "Blurt Factor" of instant status reports that Twitter provides.

I think people like the semi-anonymous freedom to stalk or comment or update or show off or legitimately inform people they care about - and they can do all that via Facebook. I wouldn't write it off just yet, Shan, because it's a great tool. I'd be happy to walk through some of the GOOD selling points with ya next time we see each other!

I think Facebook and Twitter can help us sell books! :o)

Anonymous said...

I am drinking coffee! Although I'm trying to not do it this week, because I think I'm using too many calories every day with milk & chocolate syrup, and I feel my winter padding starting to creep on....

I love that you call that the blurt factor! Maybe that's why it scares me? I've gotten into trouble my entire life from my blurting!! But I'm willing to try it out if you can show me how to temper it! ;o)

I can't get my sign-in to work? So I'm anonymous!! Ha - Shan

Rick said...

I have a Facebook account. Blogging allows me to express myself in ways that Facebook doesn't. It's too busy for my mind. But, then again, I'm an old man and not a product of the MTV generation.