Sunday, September 21, 2008

fall faves

OK, it truly only felt like fall for a few days this week, but since tomorrow is the official first day of autumn for the year, I thought I'd share!

1) Check out this amazing pumpkin (or maybe these 3 amazing pumpkins?)!
Found it at Whole Foods this week. It's called a Fairytale pumpkin, and I think it's well deserving of it's name. I'm hoping that it will last through Thanksgiving, but we'll see... I just love having things in the house that just remind me of the creativity of the Father! I love places like Whole Foods and Central Market for the same reason. I was at CM a few days ago with super great SIL Sha, and was marveling at His creativity shown in a display of tomatoes - red, orange, and yellow all lined up in a row- and then in a display of cauliflower- purple and yellow (geaux tigers!) right next to a green coral variety. So fabulous!

2) Also am excited about whole wheat pastry flour - read about it in a magazine last week, and am using it as a substitution for all-purpose flour in recipes now. Have already tried it in these buttermilk waffles, and am even going to go for it in chocolate chip cookies. I'll try anything once!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I am so glad you continue to update your blog. I like reading blogs so much better than Facebook. Let me know about the flour in the cookies-then i can justify eating more.

Anonymous said...

Shannon, the pumpkin is even more beautiful than I imagined. I hope that it lasts till the day after Thanksgiving. :o)

I have pictures of those cauliflowers...because I. am. a. nerd.

Shannon said...

Liz, I love your comment! Facebook just scares me. Honey has an account, and I just can't figure it out...it just seems weird to me, but this I can figure out. So I'm happy to keep updating! I'll let you know about the cookies - used it for banana muffins today, and the pumpkins ate them up!

Sha, you are NOT a nerd! You just, like me, appreciate the beauty in the little random things that God has created...like cauliflower! (Which, BTW, is so delicious roasted with EVOO and italian seasoning....)...

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess, I am a food nerd, too. Love it. Eating it. Talking about it. Cooking it for others. etc. And Shannon, I love WW Pastry flour, WW any-kind-of-flour. I switched way back and use it for everything. Occasionally, if white flour is on sale, I will buy it, but then I add wheat germ to it, to put back in the goodness:)

Enjoy the waffles.