Tuesday, September 6, 2011

that girl

Today I’m that girl. I didn’t mean to be. I didn’t want to be. But…I am.

Because I invited everyone to my house on Sunday to celebrate my (how is it even possible?) 8 year old Katie, and 3 of them left with the stomach bug that mowed my family down earlier last week. But we were better. And the house had been disinfected. TWICE (at least. That’s not even counting the hundred times I ran Clorox wipes over the light switches, and doorknobs, and appliance handles when we were sick).

So I’m that girl. The one who hands off the horrible stomach bug to the people she loves, because she can’t bear the thought of postponing a party and breaking her 8-year-old’s heart. *sigh* And even when she calls the nurse to see WHAT THE HECK KINDA BUG IS GOING AROUND ANYWAY, DO I NEED TO CALL THE MEN IN THE WHITE SUITS LIKE IN ET?? gets told, “Nah, they couldn’t have gotten it from your house.” Tell that to Nana and Julie and Jenny. (And Mom & Dad, and Jonathan & Judah & Sharifa, and Aaron, cause it’s coming for them, too). Boo.

But maybe…I’m hoping…that the next time I’m not that girl, and someone else is…that I’ll remember today. And I’ll have a heart full of compassion instead of judgment. Because it stinks to be that girl (even when the only voice calling you that girl is your own).

Tons of well-wishes to and prayers for my dear loved ones for a speedy recovery.

4 comments:

Sharifa said...

k
,
π÷≥…øplk;;;;;,k;
dj=9jm

That's Judah script for "we love you, Auntie! And look, I'm all better!"

Shannon said...

yaaay!!! cutie pie. ;o)

Julie said...

I'm well, Shannon, and going to your house for baby girl's "big girl" 8-year-old party was well worth the unpleasantries of the bug.

Love and miss you.
Julie

Shannon said...

;o) I am ASTOUNDED at this thing. I think it even got Coco (Jennny's baby doxie)!!! Crazy. Every day on FB there's a new family that's getting hit by it... I think it's out to get everyone. Maybe really weird PR for contagion?? lol!! Love you both!!