Wednesday, September 21, 2011

dresses

So a factor in the "lies that culture tells girls" involves (obviously) the way girls dress.

A few years ago, as the girls started to get BIG, Chris and I had to have conversations about what that should look like. His bottom line, "We need to dress them now the way we want them to dress when they're teenagers." In other words, no short skirts just because they're little. Nothing revealing, or risque (yeah, I'm appalled that they have risque, revealing clothes for little bitties, but it's just true).

So in the search and movement toward beautiful, modest clothing for our little girls that doesn't look too....uhrm...homeschoolerish (for lack of a better term, but I bet you know what I'm talking about), I'm starting to learn to do more on the ol' sewing machine than quilt. Three things help that tremendously: 1) I love fabric. WAY too much (see the SisBoom and Anna Maria Horner line on the left to see what I'm talking about. AMAZING stuff. 2) There is something incredibly satisfying about the creative process of sewing. I didn't think that would happen, but I absolutely LOVE it. 3) Sites like this one that have beautiful patterns for the fabulous aforementioned fabric (her blog is on the left, Olabelhe, btw).

Read the book 5 Conversations You Must Have with Your Daughter * and the author writes about how when clothes were made at home, they fit, and there wasn't an obsession with "What size am I??" How great would it be to grow up and not care what size you are? And to love dressing in clothes that are beautiful, modest and feminine? Excited to start this journey. By the way, I absolutely don't think you have to make clothes at home to help your girls avoid the lies culture tells about clothing - this is just my creative passion, at least today. ;o)

I'll post pics as I finish projects, and as the pumpkins let me take pics.


* I highly recommend this book to all in this search for how to teach our girls about the lies culture feeds us - it's a little wonky at times, but I think the principles the author, Vicki Courtney, presents are vital.

4 comments:

Sharifa said...

I admire you for protecting your childrens' hearts as you literally clothe them in dignity. Now, of course, I will be commissioning you to dress me as well, you know. If you need a full-sized muse, I am here! :o)

Shannon said...

;o) Yaaay! I love the thought of clothing them in dignity, Sha!!! That is beautiful!!! schniff!!! & OF COURSE I will clothe you as well. What fun!!! More fabric shopping!! And you know my goal is to able to smock stuff by the time we have grandbabies, if that's what the Lord has planned for our kiddos paths. (squealing with excitement over the thought of learning to smock!!). Mwah!! You need to look at the patterns on the sisboom website (link on the left of the blog). There are some things there that we could ROCK sister. ;o)

Dawn said...

Thank you so much for mentioning me on your blog...such an honor! Like you I feel the same way about dressing my little girl in a certain way that preserves her childhood and her innocence. When I couldn't find those clothes in the shops anymore I decided to just make them myself and you can see where that has led. Thank you so much for supporting me.

Shannon said...

Dawn, I am blown away that you even visited here! I want you to know that I've finished 2 projects for my girls from your collection (Kristin's skirt, and Jillian's jumper), and cannot wait to get my hands on more patterns! I need to post pics. You are truly blessed with amazing creativity!! Thank you for what you do!