Tuesday, September 11, 2007

school's in!!



This has been a big week for our family! Miss K had her very first ever day of school today! What fun. She's going to preschool 2 days a week, from 9 until 2. We've been gearing up for it, and today the drive to school was very exciting....until we pulled into the parking lot: "Mommy, I'm a little nervous and scared," she said. Inside my head, I was saying, "Me too, pumpkin. I can't believe it's time for you to spend a day away from me!" But my voice was saying, "That's OK, precious. It's OK and normal to be nervous and scared about new things. Let's pray that God would help you with that today!" We bravely approached her classroom, and her first words to Ms. Sheli were, "I'm a little scared right now." To which Ms. Sheli replied, "That's OK, baby! I am, too! The first day of school is always tricky." Indeed!

But a lovely day was had by all. After Miss MA got over the shock of "sissy" being gone, she was content to hang out with me all by her little self, or as Miss K put it, "go to school with mommy." Miss K was very impressed with scissor safety, and playing with boys on the playground (oh, dear?).

So time marches on! My big girl is in school. I actually didn't shed tears, but almost thought about it yesterday when she said, "Mommy, when I am a grown-up lady, will I still live with you?" SIGH. Launching....we approach it so often with these dear little ones entrusted to our care, don't we? Thank you, Father, for the time we've had, and will continue to have, cocooning our precious little ones. Help us to do that well, and when it's time to approach these inevitable launches, help us to also do that well, and rejoice as we watch our children fly.


8 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh, Shannon, she is too sweet. You have one precious big girl.

I know how you're feeling...It's hard when life brings changes...I always have to remind myself "there is joy in every station!" Things change, and they're different, but just as good and full of joy...new kinds of joy. God's still amazing and is ever showing himself faithful to His children. Always. Even when my babies aren't babies anymore.

Okay, so that was waaay more for me than it was for you :)

Love to you and the school girl!

Lauren

Anonymous said...

uuugh!!!!don't talk about school..i dreamed gracie had to start school and in my sleep i could feel my heart inside my chest breaking to pieces...i am praying even now for the grace to go through the school years...not to mention a few weeks back when we were in the port baby g saw my wedding dress in gammy's closet and asked "can i wear that"...to which i replied "maybe one day"...then she asked to wear the veil to which i agreed and wham-flash forward like fifteen or so years and my baby getting married and leaving me...it's all a bit too much for me...ok enough

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how time changes things so much...when you guys were little, there were days I longed for you to be grown...and then when those launches took place, all I could do was cry and wish you were little again. But that's the joy of Grandma-hood, you get to enjoy those stages again but without all the stress and pressure of the parent. So we constantly find ourselves in "New Normals" as I call it,such as bathing and caring for your Mom ,as I am experiencing now...the full circle just keeps going and going..Praise you ,Lord,for families !!

Heather Jamison said...

Little girls in school. Yikes. My 18 year old is in college for the first time. Time flies. I remember when she started school so long ago. Enjoy it while you've got it:).

Heather Jamison said...

Hey girl -- -I noticed on your side-roll my links. Thanks!! :) I tried them and oops --- they're old.

New links are:

www.heatheronthenet.com
And
www.adoptalegacy.com (new and improved) :)

Blessings to you!!!

Shannon said...

New links are up and running! Sorry about that...I try to keep those updated, but...

Anonymous said...

Shan...she's so adorable! Caleb started preschool this fall as well...sigh! I tell you with Em in one school and Caleb in another, I stay on the road.

Lin said...

cute pics. i'm sure MA is loving "school with mommy!" (that made me laugh)

just saw k's b-day slide....i told michael that next year kate must have a princess tea party!!! what fun!