Monday, August 1, 2011

cooking

I am determined to not think of Mondays anymore as “ugh…Monday,” but rather as “Central Market Day!” It puts an entirely new spin on the day to think of it that way, as Central Market is the only grocery store I go to that makes me genuinely happy. Giddy, even. If you've never been, I'd love to encourage you to take a field trip soon. Just to look at the produce, if for no other reason.

I love to cook. I don’t always cook. Sometimes I quickly throw a meal together, when life is chaotic, or I just am too tired to be creative, but when I have time and energy…I really enjoy cooking tasty food for the people I love. I’ve found, though, that the key to cooking tasty food is having great recipes. So I feel like I’m on a quest – always searching for great recipes, and when I find one that sticks, I’m a happy camper.

Cooks Illustrated is a treasure-trove of great recipes. If I’m ever still enough to catch their show on PBS on Saturdays, it’s a treat. I recently purchased their Family Cookbook, and Family Baking Book, and highly recommend them both. I can read cooking magazines & cookbooks like novels (K has lately taken to reading cookbooks the same way. I even saw her grab my Julia Child cookbook the other day!). I devour them, and come back to them again and again. Everyday Food magazine (another great PBS cooking show) is another favorite. I also like to look on Food Network’s website, and Allrecipes for ideas when I want to make something, but am having trouble finding just the right recipe. Both of those have ratings and reviews, and I find comments from others who love to cook most helpful.

I think baking is my favorite variation on cooking, though. Cookies, especially. I have a killer chocolate chip recipe, and sugar cookie recipe, and it’s so much fun to whip up a batch when the craving arises, and have the girlies help. Though sometimes I find that it’s better to bake alone, as a sort of therapy. Little voices do tend to be a bit distracting, lovely though they are.

So here’s to tasty food! And Central Market, where I can get lovely supplies for wonderful meals! Happy Central Market Day!

2 comments:

Sha said...

Did you go yesterday? I was hoping to see you. I whisked in and out with the little one so we could be back home by 12:30 pm.

I hope to see you at the next Moo Monday! :o)

I almost got in trouble yesterday (ok, I DID get in trouble) looking at the bath and body section. Shannon, there are so many goodies to be had there. I am giddy thinking of Central Market, too! I even have a favorite cashier now (Kim - she has flaming fuchsia hair). I also love seeing Allison, whom I've chatted with since before I was married and still lived in the Village area. (She works in the prepared foods section by the cafe.)

Here's to tasty food indeed! After I restocked our kitchen at CM, I roasted corn and asparagus, washed cherries, strawberries and blueberries, made a batch of iced coffee and baked a chicken. It's good to be home. :o) Now all I need is to see you!

Shannon said...

Sha!!! Yes, we were there on Monday. I can't remember what time now... I do remember it was HOT, lol. But so loverly inside CM! Last night was cream peas & rice, and sauteed squash, red peppers & onions... thank you CM for a wonderful easy dinner! What a great place. *sigh* Once I'm closer I'll have to go twice a week, again on Thursdays so produce is fresher for the remainder of the week. ;o) SO fun!