Thursday, May 22, 2008

Nana


So my sweet Nana (mom's mom) had a heart attack Monday! That was the last thing any of us ever expected.... I've waited for a few years now for a call like that from my mom about my Pop (mom's dad), but didn't ever expect it about Nana. Sweet thing! She had to have a triple bypass, and is still in ICU. I was with mom & dad until last night, but needed to get back today to try to finish up the year at preschool... Am going back out Sunday afternoon, unless things get bad between now & then, which I don't anticipate, but you never know. (BTW, it's amazing to watch your parents care for their parents. I'm in awe of how great my folks are with nana & pop...hope I'm raising my girls to be as amazing as my parents are! Anyhow...)

It was sweet, when mom talked with her Monday morning before the surgery, she said, "Just think, if I wake up in heaven, I'll have nothing to do but sit and adore my precious Jesus!" Made me cry, of course. It was comforting to know that Nana was ready to go, but I don't think any of us are ready for her to go... seems like she might get to stay for a while longer, but I hate that she has to go through the pain of recovery and rehab from open heart surgery.

So if you still have a Nana around, go give her a big hug if you're able to. If you can't give her a hug, send her a card (my Nana loves cards, and I just kinda assume all Nanas out there love cards, too). And if you think of my sweet Nana, pray for her.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying, Shannon.

Anonymous said...

prayers are certain! you are all so fortunate to still have that nana and pop! i know you know that...... i'm praying she'll have a full and great recovery......love, miss melanie

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

I am behind on blogging so I am just reading this. How is your Nana doing? I will be praying.

Sorry for the deleted comment-had a typo.

Kelley said...

Shannon,

I loved what you had to say about your parents caring for their parents. What a beautiful picture of loyal love.

BTW, didn't you just have an anniversary? You probably need to update your sidbar to "8 years of marriage" :)

Shannon said...

Kelley! You're so thoughtful - it's actually later this month, so I definitely need to look at that! Evidence of that was funny - I spent yesterday with a friend of mine who brought her newborn to our wedding. We celebrated said newborn's 8th birthday yesterday! Crazy... so does that mean my marriage is entering its tween years??

Update on Nana - she's actually been to rehab, but she's back in the hospital now. She's contracted pneumonia, and is now in respiratory failure. We've been on a bit of an emotional roller-coaster the last week... I'm headed out to mom & dad's tomorrow to be resident cook for everybody coming & going, and I'll try to keep the blog updated... Keep praying - we know she's in the Lord's hands.

Lin said...

shan-
i am also behind in my blogging. i'm so sorry to hear about nana. that was such a sweet comment she made about sitting in heaven & adoring precious Jesus. reminded me of the verse: to live is Christ & to die is gain. i'll be praying for her.

Shannon said...

Nana's doing better! She's still very weak, and looks so very fragile, but she's moved from ICU into a regular room...